From Safari to South Horr

The MAF plane was a large one with few passengers.  The plane had 4 rows of three seats each.  The back center section was left open, with no seats, and was intended as an area to strap down loads of supplies.  There was also a back row of seats that was occupied by a MAF pilot, his wife and a small child in a car seat.  Sarah and I joined the other passengers – another MAF pilot headed to Nairobi for treatment of an eye infection and two young men from Sudan.

The flight was uneventful.  Upon landing the two Sudanese men were dropped at customs. The plane taxied with the rest of the passengers to the MAF Terminal where our bags were held while I paid the $1200 fee for the diverted flight.   Best left to say that I was not a happy girl.

Once released from the MAF Terminal I checked in with Eutychus of Baisy Safaris.  Many of the travelers in the safari group had arrived and more would be landing shortly.  Once Sarah was checked in at the Fairview Hotel I did the rounds of the hotel grounds and introduced myself to members of the group that I recognized from their passport pictures.  With sweaty clothes that were covered in dust, I was in need of a shower and clean clothes but there was no time to indulge in this luxury.  I had a letter printed out with the following day’s schedule at the business center and it was distributed to all of the group’s rooms.  With just 4 passengers left to arrive, I finally went to bed at 11:30 pm.

A rare sighting of a pack of wild dogs in Samburu

The safari started with a presentation by Ken Okoth of SLU who gave us a tour of his facility in the Kibera slums of Nairobi.  Once we were out of the city, the safari was especially successful because of the wildlife.  In Samburu we saw cheetah, lion and leopard as well as an unbelievable sighting of rare Wild Dogs.  One afternoon we watched a delighted group of young elephants swim and bathe in the rushing waters of the Ewaso Nyiro River.  We were given a private presentation at the Save the Elephant research center by David Daballen, who was born in the northern Kenyan village of Karare.  Rebecca Lolosoli inspired us because of her work on behalf of Samburu women’s rights and the battle against the unfortunate practice of female genital cutting.  We were treated to a presentation on essential African oils at the beautiful home of Hilary Sommerlatte of Arbor Oils and charmed by the young women who manage Maili Saba Camp.  In the Mara we learned about the work of the Peregrine Fund by vulture researchers and visited a private school for Maasai children that melds the Maasai culture with an inspiring curriculum for young children.  At a surprise sundowner setting in the hills surrounding Sekenani Camp, I awarded two of our travelers a rungu – the traditional club of Maasai and Samburu men – for their intrepid will to carry on with the trip despite becoming ill.

The journey to the north began with another flight on MAF.  I had since reconciled an equitable agreement with the Director of MAF operations in regards to our previously cancelled flight.  They were apologetic as to the mistake made and we agreed to split the cost of the $1200 diverted flight.  While Sarah Ellis, our Director or New Program Development, and I waited for the MAF departure, I made peace with the rest of the MAF staff, who were very understanding of my previous frustration and anger.  MAF provides a critical connection to remote areas of Africa for humanitarian organizations and our relationship with them was important.  They do good work, and I was proud that our organization was associated with MAF.  Hudson, dear soul, took it upon himself to make a first attempt at saving my lapsed Catholic soul.  He asked if he could pray with me and I accepted the offer.

Semeji and Maina were at the Korr airstrip with Gumps.  They would drive us the 2 ½ hours to South Horr where Mentor University was going on.  This was our annual training session for the BOMA Village Mentors.

Maina drove slowly and carefully in the searing heat.  At times the dust poured into the vehicle as unanticipated dust devils rose up and slammed the side of the vehicle.  There was never enough time to quickly close the windows before we were assaulted and the devils left us coughing and sputtering with grit and dust in our teeth and hair and clothes.  We arrived at the Samburu Sports Club as the training was already going on.  Sarah and I quietly slipped into the large round hut.  The training program for our twenty-six Mentors was led by Kura and some of the older BOMA Mentors.  This program, this organization, was theirs.  I said hello but was not expected to do anything else.  The goal of local leadership and ownership had now become a reality.  I was now an observer of not only a grassroots organization, but of a movement led by committed people that seek to build a world of hope and opportunity.


About Mama Rungu

Founder and CEO The Boma Project
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s